Russia – Soviet: A May 1945 Attack on Olomouc, Czechoslovakia, Order of Glory 3rd Class, awarded to Junior Sergeant Vladimir Prokof’evich Kravchenko, Commander of a Section of the 522nd Rifle Regiment, 107th Rifle Division, awarded for wounds received during the Great Patriotic War.
Order of Glory 3rd Class, 2nd type, numbered 782599
Condition: Lightly toned, Nearly extremely fine
Vladimir Prokof’evich Kravchenko was born in the village of Kravchenko in V. Bogachanskii Region, Poltavskii Oblast in 1923, a member of the Communist Party. Of Ukrainian origin, he served in the Great Patriotic War from August 1944, with the 4th Ukrainian Front, having joined the Red Army in April 1944 in Dolinskii Oblast.
Kravchenko joined his unit at a time when it was fighting in the Sandomierz Bridgehead and consolidating for its role in the upcoming Vistula-Oder Offensive which began in January 1945. Fighting as part of the 1st Ukrainian Front it was part of the Southern wing of the offensive, protecting the northerly drive towards the Oder and Berlin, Kravchenko was wounded on 21st February.
In March 1945, 107th Rifle Division became part of 4th Ukrainian Front. It subsequently took part in the Prague Offensive in May 1945, the last major operation of the European War. As part of this operation, 4th Ukrainian Front attacked towards the Czech city of Olomouc on 6th May 1945, and it would have been during this offensive that Kravchenko received his 2nd wound on the same day.
He was subsequently awarded the Order of Glory 3rd Class, the recommendation as follows:
‘Comrade Kravshenko, Vladimir P., served in the Red Army from July 1944. He was twice wounded (21st January 1945 and 6th June 1945) and underwent treatment in the hospital , the result of which he is recommended for the high award’
The recommendation is confirmed by Major of Medical Services Smirnov, as Chief of Hospital for Wounds 5286
The reference to 6th June 1945, should read 6th May 1945.
This Order of Glory was finally verified on 19th April 1976, after being awarded on 29th May 1945 in by Order of 60th Army. At the time of receiving the award he was a Member of the Oblast Supply Union, Deputy Chief of the Inspection Section in the city of Vinnitska, he was then living at 4 Pershutova Street, Kalinovka.
The Order of Glory was established in 1943 as the highest ‘Soldiers only’ (enlisted men and NCOs) award and was given only for direct combat with the enemy. Its statutes defined 32 specific feats for which the award would be granted.